Monday, January 18, 2010

Blog 05 : Email 2 : 04.00 Monday 18th January 2010

email from Che to TAF

Ok I realise its late, but only just finished getting all of our kit together, its taken from 20.00. the guys are now sorting their uniform and bulling boots (public image to maintain)

Flying tomorrow from heathrow to phillidelpia then onto the Dominican republic where there should be a forward base of operations for all UN SAR teams. The team mission is primarily that of SAR medics. Unsure of the location we’ll be sent to until we reach the FOB UN.

Hopnig then to be airlifted by the military, I’m tired already cant imagine what its going to be like in a few days, the real issue that we are having is that all team members are having to be self sufficient for 7 days that includes at least 14 litres of water and 7 days worth of food, had to pack,repack and repack again to get rid f all unessential equipment.

The cost of the mission has run into thousands and again we are relying on public support to raise funds should we need supplies airlifting to our base of operations or BOO (SAR speak)

The UK BOO will receive contact form us every 72hours by satphone unless we need assistance, they into will provide NOK with any info.

On that note, it was a tearful goodbye, Jill my wife, my solemate and best friend had been bearing up under the pressure of 1. Me going away, 2.me leaving her at home again to look after my two very small children and 3. Having to discuss, things that normal married couple never discuss (i.e if something should happen) that was very hard, much harder than you can\ever imagine.

The enormity of the situation has dawned, and I do feel a little sick to the base of my stomach, you have to ask yourself “why am I doing this” I’ll miss the kids, my wife and my home comforts, and for what………….the answer is ………………” to be discussed at a later point”

Any way, will try and post some thing when I get to philli, will email some photo’s or text, cant email not taking the laptop, that would break the camels back !

Take care

Che

Additional information added by TAF

FOB Forward Operating Base

BOO Base of Operations

SAR Search and Rescue

NOK Next of Kin

Satphone Satellite Phone

UN United Nations

UK Get to School!

I will post more ino on this later

Che if you are reading this Good Luck mate. And don't forget you owe me a breakfast and a Jet Boil.
TAF end.

+

1 comment:

andy_brutaldamage said...

just want to wish you the best from me and all the public service students at chesterfield college, we're very proud of your courage, and we'll be thinking of you,


come home safely,
all the best.
Andrew from first year nationals.