Friday, January 15, 2010

Blog 3 : First email

TAF, Email from Che 22.45 January 15th 2010 TAF, End.

At the time of writing this my bags are packed and my arms hurt from the amount of jabs I’ve had this morning and afternoon, three in each arm in total, The Dr’s were great all jabs at no cost and no prescription charges.

Our sitrep is that we fly late Sunday evening into the Dominican republic and then by helicopter into the epicentre of the disaster, I am travelling with two doctors and another paramedic and a further 4 search and rescue personnel. Our mission is one of medical and trauma assessment. It is estimated that we could be treating up to one thousand people a day.

Our efforts as ever will be coordinated by the U.N. Although I am well versed in dealing with trauma and the like, with over fifteen years experience working for the ambulance service, I would like to say that this venture is one that does in actual fact frighten the b’jesus out of me.

I don’t think even after the worst road traffic accident or paediatric fatality such experience could prepare me for what I am about to face.



All the above was written by Che no input from TAF

+

No comments: