Friday, January 22, 2010

Blog 19 : Come on Che where are you

Time 20.00 GMT Date 22nd January 2010

Text from TAF to Che, "Come on Che where are you, and What’s happening".


----- SMS ------
From: Che
Sent: 22 Jan 2010 21:49
Subject: Ok mate just landed in

Ok mate just landed in a the Dominican Republic blagged an 8 seater world vision flight. had to off load 6okg to fly gave all our meds and food to orphanage got some usa medics to take a tone of food meds to hosp where we worked and mediVac those that were seriously, ill all round good job


------ SMS ------
To: Che from TAF
Sent: 22 Jan 2010 21:52


That's. Fuxxxx good news mate. This sounds odd but I can't wait to see you x



------ SMS ------
Reply From: Che
Sent: 22 Jan 2010 22:08

Your gay is Jill ok and has work...been supportive



------ SMS ------
To: Che from TAF
Sent: 22 Jan 2010 22:17

Jill is ok buddy she is proud of you as is everyone else including work. Jill will forgive you but you have got some making up to do.

You are a lucky bastxxx I know of people who have been divorced for less. Reference work you will have to fight that one when you return, I reckon as with Jill you will have to tow the line for a while.

And by the way you owe me a pint x


For those who are reading this blog and don’t personally know Che Bruce, may be surprised with my last text. I will now explain my reasoning for what appears to be harsh wording.

Che has been on the Haiti mission for just over a week. However he has been away from Home, his Wife, Children and Work for a much longer period. Che’s long absence is due to his focus and dedication to re-qualify as a paramedic and train as an Emergency Rescue Technician.

The training is often long and unpaid, and has involved Che living away from home and taking time off work to achieve his goal. Which has included most of last summer, Christmas and every weekend, in fact Che’s return to work and home life was the Monday of the week the earthquake struck Haiti. By Friday he was absent without leave.

I am not judging Che, and I don’t wish you the reader to do so either. His Wife, Employers and God will do this on our behalf. (And hopefully in the same order)

What we need to consider is the time and sacrifice people give whist unselfishly helping others. We should also sincerely consider the effect that this can place upon their families and the workplace.

Clearly not everyone has the skills or the resolve to physically assist the victims of an earthquake. However, as Che’s Mission in Haiti draws to a close. I am watching students and staff giving their time and focus to the Haiti appeal.

At the time of writing Chesterfield College students are organising a cash collection and organising a Shoe Box Donation Scheme. Each student is filling a Shoe Box with Toys and Clothing, these gifts are to be shipped free of charge in a container provided by a parents employer.


Up-Dates to follow in Later Blogs. TAF


+

1 comment:

Fatlass said...

TAF...the way I see it, this situation is a learning curve for everyone involved whether they realise it or indeed like it or not! I like you have gone through a range of emotions including annoyance, frustration, fear and something that really surprised me...love. I am not saying I am in love with Che but I felt so upset when the aftershock hit Haiti that I had my own little aftershock of emotions. It led me to realise that you don't always appreciate what people bring to your life until they have gone.

I can only sum this experience up by using the analogy of him being like a little boy who has got lost because he has wondered off in a busy place to look at something exciting and his mum is going out of her mind with worry. I feel now like that mother who, when reunited with her child will initially give him a big hug and kiss, followed by a "why did you do that"...and in my day...you got a smacked bum! You can't smack now though!!!(naughty step doesn't have same impact does it???)

I am sure Che will get all kinds of reactions, and on the outside he will laugh it off but we have to make sure he is ok on the inside so that he can get back to the cheecky, naughty boy that makes us laugh but that we know will inevitably wonder off again and make us mad all over again.

That's Che and that't why we love him.